POETRY FOR CHILDREN

POETRY FOR CHILDREN
LS5663

Monday, April 4, 2011

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You
Very Short Stories to
Read Together
by                                                                 Illustrated by
MARY ANN HOBERMAN                   MICHAEL EMBERLEY



Hoberman, Mary Ann, and Michael Emberley. You read to me, I'll read to you: very short stories to read together. Boston: Little, Brown, 2001.

ISBN: 031636502

Summary
            Mary Ann Hoberman has successfully put a poetry book together meant for two readers to take turns, read simultaneously and in the end have a good laugh. These poems constantly remind you of taking turns with the poetic words “You read to me, I’ll read to you” at the end of every poem. The poems are quick and fun with rhyme placed thoughtfully with every turn taken. The readers know it is their turn when the color of the text changes. This attribute is very important for the poem to keep its natural pace.
            Michael Emberly has drawn colorful playful characters (animals and people) and brought them to life. In every picture you see that there are two characters that are pictured with a book. He once again has helped infuse the thought of sharing in order to complete the poem.

Hop and Skip

I like to hop!
            I like to skip!
But sometimes
When I hop,
I trip.
            And sometimes
            When I skip,
            I slip.
                        And sometimes then
                        Our clothes might rip.

Excerpt/Poem Introduction
As a teacher or librarian, I would try to get a few copies of each of Ms. Hoberman’s books. Pair reading is a great way for students to share and help one another. As a librarian I would pair up with a second grade class to do a poetry read of the book. The librarian and teacher could even keep a box of props handy for students to integrate them into their poem re-telling. We could invite lower grades to a special production of
“You Read to me, I’ll Read to You”. As the librarian I would hope to grab the interest of fellow teachers by doing this presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment